|Beginn der Ausschreibung||15.05.2019|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||12.06.2019|
|Institut||Institut für Küstenforschung|
An active field of research is the understanding and management of the coastal eutrophication, which often requires internationally coordinated efforts. For understanding the sources of eutrophication and gaining insight into the effectiveness of various management options, coupled physical-biogeochemical models prove to be useful tools. In collaboration with the University of Hamburg, HZG has been actively supporting the Federal Environmental Agency (Umweltbundesamt) for the eutrophication management of the North Sea according to the Marine Strategy Framework Directive. In this context, we are looking for a qualified and motivated scientist to assist our ongoing efforts in implementation of a coupled physical-biogeochemical model to the North Sea for addressing the eutrophication of the system within the last century, and its ongoing recovery towards a healthy status.
We invite applications for a Postdoctoral position (m/f) in the area of marine ecosystem modelling with preferred starting date on July 1, 2019. The position is limited to 12 months, with a possibility of extension. The place of employment is Geesthacht (Germany).
The tasks of the successful candidate will include:
- implementation of a recently developed, modularly coupled physical-biogeochemical model to the North Sea to obtain a realistic simulation of the recent state of the system
- using the existing model forcing to conduct scenario runs regarding the historic and future eutrophication state of the system
- evaluating the simulations according to the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive
- (in case of project extension) adapting and using the nutrient tracing 'Transboundary Nutrient Transport' tool to the scenario runs
- working within a motivated multidisciplinary work environment within the institute and academic partners from the University of Hamburg and Federal Agency of Environment (UBA)
- Leading and contributing to project reports, scientific publications and presentations
- a PhD in oceanography, or other related quantitative disciplines
- experience in 3-D hydrodynamic modelling
- experience in data analysis using Python, R or Matlab.
- good time management skills
- excellent knowledge of English (written and oral)
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of scientists
- experience with biogeochemical modelling
- experience in processing and analysis of NetCDF datasets using tools such as NCO/CDO/etc.
- experience with GETM, HAMSOM, ECOHAM or FABM
- experience with FORTRAN or other static programming languages
For further questions please contact
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer
code no. 2019/KS 8
including a short statement of interest, CV, and a list of up to three references to human resources by e-mail in one pdf-file not larger than 10 MB to